The Admirals office was built in 1808 to a design by Edward Holl the Navy Board architect.
They were designed for use of the Master Shipwright and other principal officers of the Dockyard. It was is brick built and designed so that it did not spoil the view of the port and river from officers terrace which sits behind it .
The clock is still in fully working order and chimes every quarter hour.
Later on it was extended to both sides and became the offices of the port Admiral .
During WW2 the basement was used as one of the many air raid shelters in the dock.
It remains in use to this day by a variety of local small businesses so sadly not open to the public.